Friday, July 10, 2009

Half Way to Ghana on July 9th

Thanks to Sandy, I had a sense of what might come up at the airport in Lilongwe. All-in-all things went pretty well. Before boarding the bus to the plane we were required to identify our bags so they could be put on the plane. When the guy came to tell me to identify my bag I couldn't understand a word he said, but he was motioning toward the door and I figured it out.

As we were preparing to board the plane, the woman who checked me in in the first place told me my carry-on was too big and could not be taken on the plane. She was not happy with me. I was not happy with her.

Given the number of people boarding (there were 6 of us) I couldn't figure out what the problem was -- and I was beginning to think we were going to be on the prop plane I was staring at with much trepidation. I didn't see the 737 a way down the tarmac. The woman kept insisting the flight was very full and there was no room for my bag. I thought, she was out of her mind.

Turns out the flight originated somewhere else. It was full everywhere -- except in business class. Here's another international "language": Put your suitcase in the first available bin, regardless of where you are sitting.

The woman tagged the bag -- wanting to tag it all the way to Accra. I insisted I would claim it in South Africa -- which, of course,, meant I would have to do that exit-customs-check in-security thing when we arrived in South Africa. They don't do the "curbside" thing like they do in the US where, if they take your bag because there's no room, you pick it up plane-side when you arrive at your destination. Grrrr.

When I boarded the plane I spoke to the stewardess (do we call them that any more?) and I am sure was looking pretty darned miserable, I am sure. I didn't get my "New York on," though. I was very nice and said I couldn't understand because I knew it would fit in the bin.

Then I went to sit in my seat and someone was in it. "So sorry." I sat next to her.
The next thing I knew the stewardess came up with my bag in her hand. turns out there were only 5 people in Business Class -- 16 seats. She put the suitcase in front of the window seat behind me and said I could go back and sit with the bag.
I was majorly relieved and astounded. I could not imagine that happening on a US airline -- a fairly heavy bag just out there on the floor. I took my bag attachment loop, put it in the handle and attached it to the buckled seat belt and pulled it very tight. I figured if anything happened the only person to get hit would be me.

When we arrived in SA the pilot pulled up to the gate -- but not all the way. Everyone was getting out of their seats. I figured they knew something I didn't, so I got up too. The next thing you know the plane starts moving to get into position. Nobody said anything. I can just hear the US folks screaming "the plane will not move until everyone is sitting down."

Then the chief stewardess advised people that they might want to sit because we had to move to a new gate. I'd say 10% of the people sat back down. The plane repositioned with most of the people standing and the overhead bins wide open.
I'm telling you. Flying in the air is the easy part of getting around.

When I arrived in South Africa I did a survey of the airport shops. Sandy is right. They are VERY interesting. I spent quite a bit of time in "out of Africa." I ended up buying a pair of Crocs at another shop. They're kind of cute in that ugly Crocs sort of way. They're Mary Janes that have a sueded look. They have a bit more padding than the cute little black skips I was wearing in Malawi. I got to thinking that if I end up in the villages, those shoes wouldn't make it through the week. As comfortable as they are, there is not a lot of padding between the soles of my feet and the uneven terrain. Don't ask me what I was thinking when I wore them to Lilongwe. I think I thought I was going to be spending my time in the city. Silly me!

They didn't have the black in my size so I ended up getting the "chocolate" pair. It's a taupy kind of chocolate. I just won't look at my feet.

1 comment:

  1. Did you plan to be there at the same time as Obama? It would be interesting to know how people on the street there are feeling about his visit...

    ReplyDelete