Thursday, June 11, 2009

Oh my gosh! I've started a blog!

Years ago I went to the (I think) Tenth or Twelvth Variable Doo Dah Parade in Pasadena, California. At the time they called it the "Variable" Doo Dah because, while it happened consistently, it wasn't always on the same weekend. The Doo Dah is a parade spoof, and judging from the web site: http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info/ they've gotten more regular and a lot raunchier than when I first saw them. Organizers call it "the twisted sister to Pasadena's other parade." (That would be the Rose Bowl . . .)

What I liked best about the concept was the variableness of the thing. Yeah, there will be a parade. It will be held sometime before or after the other Pasadena parade. And, yeah, there will be lots of floats (like, Prom Queen of the 60s) and marchers (like the Syncronized Marching Briefcase Drill Team). And Yeah, "each year the Thorny Rose is awarded to Pasadena’s most controversial citizen, by an anonymous committee of local socio-political observers." (From their web site). However, we were not always sure when the Parade would be or who would show up.

With life so very structured and organized, I like the idea of the confidence of the Doo Dah happening, without anxiety of certainty that often accompanies scheduled events. It is my attempt not to be obsessive compulsive. Maybe it will work.

All this is to say this will be (at least initially) a variable blog. Once I hit "post" it may take me a while to find it again, and I'm probably not as prolific as I think I can be. My postings will be variable, but they will be. And that's the truth.

6 comments:

  1. This blog looks wonderful dahling. They have a DooDah parade in Columbus, Ohio, too. It seems to emphasize individuality. So I applaud the variableness (variability?) of your blog but also it's uniqueness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Woody Allen said "eighty percent of success is showing up". So, for your blog to be successful, which I'm sure it will be, you have to post. Can't wait to see those posts from Africa ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslianne, what a great blog. I'll look forward to visiting Malawi, Ghana and Rome via your travels and tales on the www. Safe journey and Godspeed. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! Look forward to following your travels. With you on the variable thing. I firmly believe it's the day in day out predictability of life that robs us of energy. May you find energy anew on your travels! Be safe. Be kind. Be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslianne, first of all, having just come from the dentist....I'm glad you found your toothbrush. I LOVE your thought about sharing a table and meal with another single. GREAT way of discovering life.
    Give my love to Sandy and Maitland and big HUGS to Moses and Miriam.
    Safe journey. Love, Kathy
    P.S. We're leaving for NYC tomorrow for a few days. We'll check out those Brooklyn pigeons on Katherine's stoop in Park Slope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslianne, your walking in Malawi was a little different than my walking in NYC this weekend. Although, like you, many here were walking to work also...my daughter included. The pedestrian mall(new) in Times Square is amazing. Tom and I sat out in 2 of the hundreds of lawn chairs that are placed in Times Square to "people watch" late at night. What a hoot.
    Give my love to the MacFarlans. Keep those fun travel postings coming. WE LOVE THEM. God bless. Kathy

    ReplyDelete